Royal Bombshell: Andrew’s Succession Status Under Review

UK MPs weigh legislation to remove Prince Andrew from the royal line of succession, a rare constitutional move requiring Parliament and Commonwealth approval.

Feb 21, 2026 - 11:09
Feb 21, 2026 - 12:03
Royal Bombshell: Andrew’s Succession Status Under Review
Royal Bombshell: Andrew’s Succession Status Under Review
The government is considering introducing legislation to remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of royal succession.
 
Defense Minister Luke Pollard said the move—which would prevent Andrew from ever becoming king—was the "right thing to do," regardless of the outcome of the police investigation.
 
Currently, the King's brother, Andrew, remains eighth in line to the throne, even though he was stripped of his titles, including "prince," last October due to pressure over his links with pedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.
 
On Thursday evening, Andrew was released under investigation 11 hours after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in his government position. He has consistently and vehemently denied any wrongdoing.
 
Pollard confirmed that the government is working "fully" with Buckingham Palace on a plan to prevent the former prince from being "just one step away from the throne."
 
He said, "I hope it will have cross-party support, but it's true that this will only happen after the police investigation is complete."
 
On Friday, police cars and vans without number plates were seen coming and going at Royal Lodge, the 30-room Windsor property where Andrew lived for many years.
 At one point, more than 20 vehicles could be seen parked at the property, although it is unknown whether this was connected to the investigation and search.
 
Thames Valley Police, the force that arrested him, will continue to search Royal Lodge until Monday.
 
The government's proposal comes after some MPs, including those from the Liberal Democrats and the SNP, expressed support for such legislation.
 
Some Labour MPs, who have been critical of the monarchy, said they saw little need for such a move – in part because it is highly unlikely that the former Duke of York will ever ascend to the throne.
 
In October, Downing Street stated that it had no plans to introduce legislation to change the line of succession.
 
Following the new revelations, historian David Olusoga told Newsnight that there is now "a strong desire within the government and the Palace to create a firewall between this crisis and the monarchy at large."
 
Buckingham Palace has not publicly commented on the government's plan to remove Andrew from the line of succession.
 The move would require an Act of Parliament, the approval of MPs and peers, and would come into effect after the King's royal assent.
 
It would also require the support of the 14 Commonwealth countries where Charles III is Head of State, including Canada, Australia, Jamaica, and New Zealand.
 
The last time the line of succession was changed by an Act of Parliament was in 2013, when the Succession to the Crown Act brought back those previously excluded because they married a Catholic.
 
The last time someone was removed from the line of succession by an Act of Parliament was in 1936, when the previous King, Edward VIII, and his descendants were removed due to his abdication.
 
Liberal Democrat leader Sir Ed Davey said the police should be allowed to "do their work without fear or favour."
 
He added: "But clearly this is an issue that Parliament will have to consider in due course, as the monarchy will clearly want to ensure he never becomes king."
 Read Also
According to the party's Westminster leader, Stephen Flynn, the SNP would support removing Andrew from the line of succession if legislation became necessary.
 
Labour MP Rachel Maskell, who represents York Central, also supported the move.
 
She said: "I would support legislation to remove Andrew from the line of succession and remove him from his position as Councillor of State."
 
Counsellors of State can stand in for an ailing monarch or a monarch living abroad, although, in reality, only working royals are expected to fulfill those duties.
 
According to the House of Commons Library, removing Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of succession would also eliminate that role.
 
Conservative Party Leader Kemi Badenoch said, "All of us in public life must allow room for police investigation."


Thank you for reading this content.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0