The Metropolitan Police is conducting "preliminary inquiries" about the close protection officers previously assigned to Andrew Mountbatten in Windsor.
This comes after an unidentified former senior Met protection officer told LBC that members of Royalty and Specialist Protection (RaSP) "deliberately ignored" his visit to a private island owned by Jeffrey Epstein.
Several survivors have alleged they were trafficked and abused on Little St. James, an island Epstein purchased in 1998.
In a statement, the Met said it has not yet "identified any wrongdoing" but is working to "ascertain the facts" about the allegations.
Read Also
Speaking to LBC on Tuesday, the former Met protection officer claimed that Andrew's protection team accompanied him to the private island on at least two occasions, including once traveling on Epstein's private jet.
The former officer, who declined to be named, said that in the late 1990s and early 2000s there were "real concerns" that the Royal Protection Team had become too close to its principal, and that staff were "afraid" of being demoted.
Under the rules governing how police forces are held accountable, if the initial Met assessment reveals concerns, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) will investigate further.
Andrew's accuser, Virginia Giuffre, alleged that she was forced to have sex with him on several occasions, including in Little St. James's in the early 2000s.
Although Andrew reached a financial settlement with Giuffre, it did not admit wrongdoing, and the former Prince has always vehemently denied any wrongdoing.
Epstein was found dead in his jail cell on August 10, 2019, while awaiting trial on sex trafficking and conspiracy charges.
Thank you for reading this content.